This morning, we boarded our bus with Salvatore, our bus driver and Elena, our tour guide. We took a two hour bus ride through the region of Tuscany, headed for the town of Siena. Tuscany is known for it's sunflower oil, so we saw empty fields that are apparently filled with sunflowers during the spring.
When we got to Siena, we headed to the cathedral of St. Dominic for Mass. There is a very cool story that goes with this church. When St. Catherine died, she was buried in Rome. The people of Siena wanted her back in their city, so they went and took her head for their church. Today we saw her head - we'll see her body when we get to Rome.
After visiting the church, we had some time in Siena for lunch. Elena told us that Tuscany is know for wild boar, so that's what Tony ordered. It was actually very good - it tasted a little like pot roast. We also had panforte for dessert, which is like fruit cake. It wasn't as good as my gelato yesterday, that's for sure!
After Siena, we stopped in a town near Assisi and toured an olive oil plant. It was very neat - we were able to see how olive oil is pressed and also got to sample some. Yum!
Just as we're getting used ordering in Italian and to dodging the traffic in Assisi (Italians are terrible drivers and the all drive little bitty cars. They don't stop for anything!) we're packing up and heading to Montesilvano and Loreto tomorrow. Stay tuned!
3 comments:
Dear Mrs. Singleton,
I hope you are having a really good time. We are having a lot of fun with Mrs. K. I miss you very much. I colored a picture for you at home, and I'm hoping to give it to you whenever you come back. I thought you were coming back tomorrow, but it's next Friday. That made me feel bad, but I know you're having fun.
Love,
Madison Horlander
Do I sense a Versace Christmas for everyone? Hope you guys are having a great time!
Love and Miss you both,
Erin
Glad you are back safe and thanks for letting me see your pictures.
Love,
Dad Singleton
Post a Comment