Another amazing day in Assisi! After breakfast, we headed to the Basilica for a private Mass at the tomb of St. Francis. It gave me chills to sing the Prayer of Peace for the closing song. After Mass, we toured the entire church. Unfortunately, the large churches in Italy don't allow you to take pictures inside, so I'll have to show everyone the book we purchased. Another highlight of the Basilica were relics of St. Francis, including one of his robes.
After the Basilica, we boarded the bus and went to the lower town of Assisi, where we toured St. Mary of the Angels. Inside, there is a very tiny church that is the building that St. Francis repaired when he believed God wanted to him to fix the physical building, not the followers of Christ. It was phenomenal. We also saw the place where St. Francis died. Unfortunately, we were also not allowed to take pictures there.
When we left lower Assisi, we came back to the church of St. Clare. There, we saw the San Damiano cross that spoke to St. Francis, as well as the tomb of St. Clare. Then, we finally got to eat lunch on our own in Assisi.
Tony and I had a great lunch, even though I'm not sure what I ordered. I just pointed in the deli at something that looked good! We followed it up with some gelato - Italian ice cream - yummy!
We had some free time after lunch, so like the nerds we are, Tony and I sought out more churches. We got to see the site where St. Francis' family lived, which is now a church, as well as the site where he was born. I also found a church called "San Antonio" - St. Anthony! There was a school there as well. I lit a candle for all our students at the statue of St. Anthony.
We left the center of Assisi and headed to the hermitage. It's a place up in the mountain where St. Francis and his followers would go to fast and pray. Now there's a monastery for monks, but in St. Francis' day the would stay in caves. We saw St. Francis' cave, but it was a tight squeeze! We also saw the tree that St. Francis gave his famous speech to the birds under.
After such a busy day, we've had a couple of hours before dinner. Tony and I went back to the Basilica and I got holy cards for all the first graders. It was quite the experience - the priest spoke only Italian and Spanish. I spoke to him in Spanish, and he thought I wanted the prayer cards in Spanish. It all worked out in the end, though, and Tony and I placed the cards on the tomb of St. Francis, which makes them third class relics. Then we did some shopping - now I'm starving! Walking in the footsteps of St. Francis today has been an indescribable experience. I'd love to post more pictures if I get the time - Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment